Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Appetizing Coral Swaweed Kerabu ~ MFF Sabah - May 2013


Coral Seaweed kerabu  ~  An appetizing dish for any occasion.  
I prepared this kerabu and  few other dishes namely ~  The clam and corn chowder, Garlic French Toast, Japanese Okonomiyaki  (お好み焼き) and Sesame Ogura Cake by the  theme of   Fusion Feast  for my buddies during our recent meet up session on a Sunday afternoon.





This Coral Seaweed Jelly is sometimes called  Sea Bird Nest.

Coral  seaweed is rich in enzyme nutrients, minerals, calcium, iron ,multitude fibers and jelly form proteins.  It is said to have  health and beauty benefits, cooling effects.

 Just a small handful of the dried coral seaweed washed and soak in water for overnight and triple the volume.



In the soaking process.




Recipe (adapted from Y3K Recipes Issue 57 with some modifications)

100 gm coral seaweed (soaked overnight, change water two to three times)
1 green mango (peeled, finely shredded)
10gm black wood fungus (soaked  hot water till softened, dranined, shredded)
1/2 pink ginger bud (finely shredded)
1 stalk lemon grass (chopped)

Seasoning

1/2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp sour plum sauce

For Sambal Belacan (finely pounded or blended)
3 shallots, 4 fresh red chillies (scalded)
10gm belacan (toasted)

For garnishing

3 tbsps toasted white sesame seeds
Some Chinese parsley 

Method

Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl.  Add in sambal belacan, seasoning and toss well.
Chilled in the fridge.
Garnish with sesame seeds and parsley before serving.



" I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest (Link to MFF Page), Sabah Month hosted by Mary of Pepper's Love






7 comments:

  1. Hi I like this coral seaweeds very much, may I know where I can it from? I am from Singapore.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for dropping by! I believe the coral seaweed (珊瑚草) can obtain from Chinese sundry shop whereby by they are selling dry prawns, anchovies, jelly fish etc etc.... (海味店)! Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thank you for your reply. I only saw once in Singapore, but can't find it now. I will try to look out again. Anyway thank you for replying me. May you be well & happy.
      Lynn

      Delete
  3. Hi, if you really can't find in Singapore, let me know see I can source for you here and post to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, thank you for your help. I just got my KL colleagues to help me to source for it manage to buy at RM6 for 200g. However the courier chrgs is really very high cost me RM62.50 for 1kg stuffs. Any cheaper way to send to S'pore? Thanks for your reply.
      Lynn

      Delete
    2. Hi Lynn, there are many grade on the coral seaweed too.... Softer texture are selling are RM50/- per kg. But postage RM62.50 is very high leh.... I am sure Singapore shops are selling these coral seaweed too..... I hv fren travel to Singapore too but for yr friend to send over to me will be very troublesome!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete